Advanced searches left 3/3

Research Project Grant - PubMed

Summarized by Plex Scholar
Last Updated: 20 May 2022

* If you want to update the article please login/register

Shifting Demographics among Research Project Grant Awardees at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI).

"Is mid-career investigators having disproportionate difficulties in their professional careers?" we wondered. According to our portfolio review, a substantial and changing shift has occurred in the demographics of research project grant awardees at NHLBI. About 60% of all investigators in 1998 were mid-career investigators, with the remaining 40% being evenly divided between early-stage investigators and established investigators. We have discovered certain inherent characteristics of the RPG award scheme that seem to encourage an increasingly more established awardee population and a steady decrease in the number of mid-career investigators in determining the causes of these demographic shifts. When combined with level or decreasing funds, a significant decrease in the number of RPG awards received by NHLBI mid-career investigators and a corresponding decrease in the number of independent research labs is a direct result of these demographic shifts.

Source link: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0168511

* Please keep in mind that all text is summarized by machine, we do not bear any responsibility, and you should always check original source before taking any actions

* Please keep in mind that all text is summarized by machine, we do not bear any responsibility, and you should always check original source before taking any actions