Advanced searches left 3/3

Causes of Cancer - MedlinePlus Genetics

Summarized by Plex Scholar
Last Updated: 10 November 2022

* If you want to update the article please login/register

Prostate cancer

Prostate cancer is a common disease that affects men, most in middle age or later. Early prostate cancer does not cause pain, and the majority of men affected men have no apparent signs. Having one or two of these signs does not necessarily mean a man has prostate cancer. Early-stage prostate cancer can generally be treated safely, and some older men have prostate tumors that grow so slowly that they may never cause health issues throughout their lifetime, even without treatment. In other men, however, the cancer is more aggressive, and prostate cancer in these situations can be life-threatening. Metastatic cancer's signs and symptoms vary depending on where the disease has spread. If prostate cancer is widespread, cancerous cells are most commonly found in the lymph nodes, bones, lungs, liver, or brain. Hereditary prostate cancers tend to develop earlier in life than non-inherited cases.

Source link: https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/condition/prostate-cancer


Lung cancer

Lung cancer is generally divided into two types, small cell lung cancer and non-small cell lung cancer, depending on the size of the affected cells when seen under a microscope. Small cell lung cancer accounts for 85 percent of lung cancer, while small cell lung cancer accounts for the remaining 15 percent. Small cell lung cancer is on the rise, and in more than half of cases, the disease has spread beyond the lung by the time the diagnosis is reported. About a year after diagnosis, most people with small cell lung cancer live for about a year; less than 7 percent survive 5 years. Non-small cell lung cancer is divided into three main subtypes: adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and large cell lung carcinoma are three key types of lung cancer. Non-small cell lung cancers that do not appear to be adenocarcinomas or squamous cell carcinomas are covered by large cell carcinomas.

Source link: https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/condition/lung-cancer

* Please keep in mind that all text is summarized by machine, we do not bear any responsibility, and you should always check original source before taking any actions

Source Recommendations

* Please keep in mind that all text is summarized by machine, we do not bear any responsibility, and you should always check original source before taking any actions